Saturday, April 12, 2014

Homemade Salsa



I always love heading to any of our local Mexican restaurants in the area, but feeding two adults and three kids gets super expensive. So we occasionally opt for the tacos or enchiladas out of the box (don't judge me) and toss in some store-bought tortilla chips and salsa for some extra yummies. To me there is nothing better than the real stuff in the restaurant so when I got my hands on this recipe from my aunt, I couldn't help but make it in bulk, freeze it and thaw it out when we need some. This is the original recipe, but you can double, triple, etc. if you prefer to prepare in bulk or have a large party.

Homemade Salsa
Two 10 ounce cans diced tomatoes and green chiles
One 28 ounce can whole tomatoes with juice (You can also use diced tomatoes since everything will be blended together)
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 whole jalepeno, chopped (with or without seeds--depends on how spicy you want it!)
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 lime, juiced



Blend ingredients together in blender or food processor. Note: Even this recipe makes A LOT of salsa. Make sure you have a large food processor before starting or split into two mixtures in a blender or small food processor.

No comments:

Post a Comment