Sunday, May 11, 2014

Super Weekend

This was one of those weekends that completely flew by. Here one minute and gone the next.

Since Thomas will be at his dad's the next two weekends, we threw his birthday party this weekend. I spent all day Friday getting everything ready--cleaning, setting up extra tables and some of my cooking. Luckily, Thomas and James went to bed early and Brian took Jason and Dylan shopping so I had most of the evening to myself to get things done without chaos all around me.

Chaos would rear its ugly head at 1 am when Dylan woke up vomiting. Great. Thankfully it was just a one time thing, more than likely the icky McDonald's he ate during the daddy-son shopping adventure. We eventually got the mess cleaned up but Brian and I had a difficult time getting back to sleep.

No bueno when you've got a four-year-old's birthday party to prep for the following morning. Thank you, eight-pound Baby Jesus for coffee.

Thomas is a huge fan of Batman and so it was a Batman-filled day at our house. I kept things pretty simple, using toys for decoration, our standard Happy Birthday banner which we use for everyone's birthday and a few extras from some pins I found on Pinterest. Here's the link to my board with some of the ideas that I used (and some I didn't). We grilled seasoned burgers, regular burgers and hot dogs and added in some great sides like potato salad and baked beans.




Batman: Official Bun Protector



Somehow Brian and I miscommunicated about Thomas wearing his Batman costume we bought for Halloween last year. When Brian asked Thomas if he was excited to get to wear it for his party, I pretty much facepalmed. So much for the polo and shorts I had picked out. It worked out great, and Thomas loved it and that's all that matters. : )




Of course, if you've got Batman, he's got to have a good-guy competitor like this sweet guy.


Not long after party guests left and Jason and Dylan went back to their mom's house for Mother's Day, I got a text from our sweet children's director at church asking if we would help out in James' class. As tired as I was, I really wanted to say no, but when I remembered all the frantic last minute calls I made on Fridays and Saturdays as a youth minister and all the people who told me "no" over and over again, I gladly accepted the invitation...and volunteered Brian too! : )

Before they left on Saturday, Jason and Dylan gave me a beautiful bunch of tulips (my favorite), but unfortunately I didn't get a good pic of them before a quick rainstorm blew them over Saturday night. 



Sweet boy with one of the damaged flowers.

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms past, present and future, and especially to the moms that don't have to be--aunts, godmothers, teachers, ministers and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment